Boat Builders and Shipwrights construct, fit out and repair boats and ships.
- studying plans and specifications, and preparing templates and scale plans for fabrication and cutting of hull sections
- marking reference points and lines on dry docks and slipways
- checking position and functioning of slipway apparatus
- assembling shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship
- erecting and preparing launching platforms, conducting pre-launch tests and supervising launching procedures
- installing masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment
- building and installing structures such as cabins, machine mountings, propeller supports and rudders
- determining repair requirements and procedures
- may make hull moulds and fabricate and repair vessels using materials such as aluminium, wood, glass, reinforced plastics, carbon fibre, Kevlar, fibreglass and concrete.
- physically demanding
- working outdoors.