Toolmakers make and repair tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other precision parts and equipment to fine tolerances, for machine tools and other production machinery.
- studies drawings and specifications to determine dimensions and tolerances of articles to be manufactured and models to be constructed
- measures and marks out metal stock and castings using various gauges
- shapes metal and wood stock using machine tools
- checks accuracy of manufactured articles and finished patterns to fine tolerances, using precision measuring instruments
- tests and modifies manufactured articles
- applies protective finishes to patterns and painting pattern sections to indicate method of assembly
- assembles pattern sections and shapes work pieces to specified finish.