Fitters and Turners fit, assemble, grind and shape metal parts and subassemblies to fabricate production machines and other equipment.
- studies drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations and machine settings
- fits fabricated metal parts into products and assembles metal parts and sub-assemblies to produce machines and equipment
- checks fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
- sets guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, sets up prescribed cutting and shaping tools and dies in machines and presses, and sets controls for textile machines
- forms metal stock and castings to fine tolerance using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore and drill metal
- cuts, threads, bends and installs hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
- diagnoses faults and performs operational maintenance of machines, and overhauls and repairs mechanical parts and fluid power equipment
- may erect machines and equipment on-site.