Metal Fitters and Machinists fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations, and machine settings
- fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and subassemblies to produce machines and equipment
- checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
- setting guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, setting up prescribed cutting and shaping tools and dies in machines and presses, and setting controls for textile machines
- forming metal stock and castings to fine tolerances using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore and drill metal
- cutting, threading, bending and installing hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
- preparing pattern mechanisms to control the operation of textile machines used to spin, weave, knit, sew and tuft fabric
- diagnosing faults and performing operational maintenance of machines, and overhauling and repairing mechanical parts and fluid power equipment
- may erect machines and equipment on-site.