Metal Fabricators mark off and fabricate structural steel and other metal stock to make or repair metal products and structures such as boilers and pressure vessels.
- studies blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine job requirements
- selects, cleans and prepares metal stock
- cuts marked out metal sections and shapes using hand tools, flame cutting torches and metal cutting machines
- shapes and bends metal sections and pipes using hand and machine tools, and by heating and hammering
- aligns parts to be joined using hand tools and measuring instrument
- joins metal sections using various welding techniques, bolting and riveting
- examines welds for width of bead, penetration and precision
- cleans and smoothes welds by filing, chiselling and grinding.