Hydrographers measure, analyse and maintain the flow and quality of water in rivers, lakes, stormwater and sewage, and survey and map oceans, seas and rivers.
- prepares technical documentation and drawings for hydrographic survey solutions
- performs routine mathematical calculations and computations of measurements for surveying and charting bodies of water
- checks, calibrates and maintains surveying, sonar, navigational and other hydrography equipment
- collects surveying data using computer systems, echo sounders, sonar, GPS and other navigation systems
- conducts fieldwork by collecting water bed samples and aquatic life for laboratory experiments, tests and analyses
- prepares maps, charts, sketches, diagrams and reports on the currents and compositions of water bodies.
- requires driving
- working outdoors.