Primary Products Inspectors inspect animals, plants and agricultural produce and facilities to ensure compliance with government and industry standards with respect to quality, health and licensing.
- inspecting animals, plants and agricultural produce to identify product quality issues, and providing advice to producers
- auditing and monitoring quality procedures at farms and food handling and processing facilities to ensure compliance with required standards
- testing samples of produce for quality, size and purity
- ensuring that required standards of hygiene are observed at storage, processing and packing facilities and in transport vehicles
- advising primary producers on economic aspects of disease eradication and informing producers and the general public of the health implications of diseases and impurities
- advising on the identification of pests and diseases and on regulations pertaining to grading, packing and loading of products
- examining imported plants and animals, and products, such as timber, seeds and dried fruits, and making quarantine arrangements
- patrolling and investigating waterways for unlawful fishing activities and the removal of protected marine life
- educating, advising and providing information on a wide range of topics relating to fish and their protection
- may initiate or assist in legal action to enforce regulations.