Exercise Physiologists assess, plan and implement exercise programs for preventing and managing chronic diseases and injuries, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, depression, cancer and arthritis, and assist in restoring optimal physical function, and health and wellness.
- assists and improves the function of muscles through physical activity and exercise programs
- administers a variety of tests to identify and assess physical problems and ailments of patients
- plans and discusses effective management of patients' disabilities, weight, injury or fitness
- designs, reviews, monitors, assesses and evaluates fitness/treatment programmes
- records detailed patient medical histories, exercise undertaken and the patients' responses and progress under exercise programs
- refers patients to specialists and liaises with other health professionals in relation to patients' problems, needs and progress
- educates patients, their partners, family and friends in rehabilitation procedures, such as home exercises and lifestyle changes, to enhance patients' health and wellbeing.