Sugar cane growers manage the growing of sugar cane. They use hand tools and farm equipment to plant, care for and harvest crops.
Work is on farms and is generally in rural areas. Early mornings and long hours are usual during planting and harvest.
Suits people who work well within a team and have the ability operate and control farm equipment. Basic English and an interest in farm production and agriculture are helpful.
- select and plant seeds or seedlings
- cultivate crop production by maintaining optimal growing conditions
- burn, harvest and prune cane for market
- assist with the sale and dispatch of raw product
- perform or oversee farming activities such as fertilising, pruning, burning, pest and weed control
- maintain farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- keep and evaluate records of farming activities and plan production to meet market demands
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors.
- physically demanding
- requires driving
- working outdoors.