Grain, oilseed and pasture growers manage the production of grain, oilseed and pasture. They use hand tools or farm machines to prepare the soil, plant then harvest crops.
Work is on farms in rural areas. Early mornings and long hours are usual during planting and harvest.
Suits people who work well within a team and have the ability operate and control farm equipment. Basic English and an interest in farm production and agriculture are helpful.
- select and plant seeds
- cultivate crop production by maintaining optimal growing conditions
- harvest, store, grade and package crops for market and refinement or production.
- assist with the sale and dispatch of raw product
- perform or oversee farming activities such as fertilising, pest and weed control
- maintain farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- keep and evaluate records of farming activities and plan production to meet market demands
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors.
- physically demanding
- requires driving
- working outdoors.