Fruit and nut growers manage the production of plants and trees that bear fruits and nuts. They use hand tools or farm equipment to plant and care for plants and trees, and to harvest fruits and nuts.
Work is in nurseries and farms, generally in rural settings. Early mornings and long hours are usual during planting, pruning and harvest.
Suits people who work well within a team and have the ability operate and control farm equipment. Basic English and an interest in farm production, horticulture and gardening are helpful.
- select and plant seeds
- cultivate crop production by maintaining optimal growing conditions
- harvest or collect, store, grade and package produce for market
- assist with the sale and dispatch of produce
- perform or oversee farming activities such as fertilising, pruning, pest and weed control
- maintain farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- keep and evaluate records of farming activities and plan production to meet market demands
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors.
- physically demanding
- requires driving
- working outdoors.