Cotton growers manage the production of cotton from soil preparation to harvesting. They plant and harvest cotton using hand tools or farm machines specific to the industry.
Work is on farms in rural areas. Early mornings and long hours are usual, particularly during planting and harvest.
Suits people with the ability operate and control farm equipment who can work well within a team. Basic English and an interest in agricultural processing are helpful.
- select and plant seeds
- cultivate and maintain optimal growing conditions
- prepare crops for market, such as harvesting, storing, grading and packaging, as well as organising the sale, purchase and dispatch of the cotton
- direct and oversees general farming activities, such as fertilising and pest and weed control
- maintain farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- keep and evaluate records of farming activities, monitor market activity and plan production to meet market demands
- manage ingoing and outgoing expenses and taxation
- select, train and supervise staff and contractors.
- physically demanding
- requires driving
- working outdoors.