Defence Force Senior Officers manage organisational units of the Australian Defence Force through subordinate officers.
- provides strategic direction and management, directs subordinates to meet objectives, achieve specific goals
- plans manoeuvres, policy and ensures set standards are meet
- consults with immediate subordinates and fellow defence heads (where appropriate) on such matters as methods of operation, equipment required and personnel
- studies and analyses relevant data, reviews recommendations and reports, takes responsibility for preparation and presentation of information to the appropriate arms of military forces
- decides or approves senior (and/or other) appointments
- authorises missions, along with government approval
- represents military arm at conferences, negotiations, official occasions, and liaises with other organisations.
- working outdoors.